Recreational Park Series
The Toronto Orienteering Club (TOC) invites you to orienteer in Toronto city parks. These informal, recreational events are for everyone – both beginners and experienced orienteers. Come and see how easy it is to start orienteering and enjoy the outdoors this summer. You’ll discover how interesting our many beautiful city parks can be while getting some good exercise.
In-person registration will start at 6:15 on the Wednesday. The meeting place will be marked by an orange and white orienteering flag. Participation is FREE for TOC members, non-members will be asked to pay $5. After getting your course map you can run/walk the course at your leisure. The course will close at 8:00pm. There will usually be a begiiner and an advanced course. You will also be able to receive informal orienteering instruction from TOC members at the registration area.
The controls to find on the course will be marked by short orange ribbons. The ribbons will be in place for 1 week, so you have a week to do the course. NOTE there is no guarantee that a ribbon will remain in place. Especially in busier areas of a park, other users of the park may remove them.
If you can't make it in person on the Wednesday, you can get a pdf copy of the course:
- Sign up as a club member, if you are not already a TOC member
- AFTER MAY 1, send a signed waiver to [email protected] . Note - you only need to send ONE waiver per season. Once we have your waiver you will have access to the courses for the Park Series from May to Sept. You will be able to download the course in PDF format from here.
- The course map for a particular park will be available for download starting on the Wed for 1-2 weeks.
GPS COURSES OR MAPRUN6 COURSES
Some Wed courses may indicate that they also have a virtual (GPS) version, this allows you to find the controls using the MAPRUN6 app on your smartphone (you don't need to see the ribbon). In this case first follow the waiver procedure above, then you can use the app on your smartphone to do the course.
Here is how it works:
- Starting on the Wed (and for 1 week after) you can find the course by selecting “Events Near Me” in the MAPRUN6 app.
- Go to the park and when you are near the start location click on “Go to Start”.
- The app will ‘punch’ the start automatically and the timer will begin.
- You will hear a beep at each control as you go through the course. Continue to the finish and you will be able to see how you did by clicking “Show Results”
To complete the virtual course, the pdf map is not required (but highly recomended), you can just use the map on your phone (it's a less accurate Open-Street Map) but the pdf map, since it's more detailed will help with your navigation.
If you are new to Maprun6 watch a short video on how to set it up and use the first time HERE.
Past GPS/Maprun6 Courses
ALL of our past GPS/Maprun6 Courses are available to club members that provide a current waiver. The PDF files of the maps are available HERE. If you have questions on the software please contact us at [email protected]
For more information, you can contact the meet director of the event by e-mail (click on the name), or email Park Series Coordinator.