Recreational Park Series
The Toronto Orienteering Club invites you to orienteer in Toronto city parks. These informal, recreational events are for everyone – both beginners and experienced orienteers. Come and see how easy it is to start orienteering and enjoy the outdoors this summer. You’ll discover how interesting our many beautiful city parks can be while getting some good exercise.
In order to adapt to the new COVID-19 reality we are changing the format of our Park Series. We will not have any registration, or in-person distribution of maps. Participants will request a pdf copy of the map as described in more detail below. While in the park make sure you follow the City of Toronto's COVID guidelines, which can be found here: COVID GUIDELINES .
The courses will be a SCORE-O format which means you can find the controls in any order and as many as you wish. Controls may have different point values (2,3,4,5 or 6) and this will be indicated on the map. Each control will be marked by ribbons. DO NOT touch the ribbon, if you SEE the ribbon, then you have found it. The ribbons will be in place for 1 week, so you have a week to do the course.
To obtain a pdf copy of the course:
- Sign up as a club member, if you are not already a TOC member
- Send a signed waiver to [email protected] . Note - you only need to send ONE waiver per season. Once we have your waiver you can access ALL maps for the 2021 Park Series.
- Once we receive your signed waiver, you will be able to download the map in PDF format from here.
Some Wed courses may indicate that they also have a virtual (GPS) version, this allows you to find the controls using the MAPRUNF app (Android or iOS) on your smartphone (you don't need to see the ribbon). In this case first follow the waiver procedure above, then you can use the app on your smartphone to do the course.
Here is how it works:
- Starting on the Wed (and for 1 week after) you can find the course by selecting “Events Near Me”
- Go to the park and when you are near the start location click on “Go to Start”.
- The app will ‘punch’ the start automatically and the timer will begin.
- You will hear a beep at each control as you go through the course. Continue to the finish and you will be able to see how you did by clicking “Show Results”
To complete the virtual course, the pdf map is not required, you can just use the map on your phone (it's a less accurate Open-Street Map) but the pdf map, since it's more detailed will help with your navigation.
For more information, you can contact the meet director of the event by e-mail (click on the name), or email Malcolm Goddard (Park Series Coordinator).